Henham Park ...
Henham Park is home to redwoods, ash, beech, mulberry and oak trees as well as some of Britain ’s rarest trees with 2 weeping larches, 2 true service trees of only 10 that survive in the UK . The ruins of the Henham Oak stand in front of The Stables, reputedly used by a Cavalier to hide in for 3 days during the Civil War in the 1640’s. Also in the grounds is an 11 acre lake and an obelisk marking exactly 100 miles to the old gallows of Tyburn at Marble Arch.
Egyptian geese, marsh harriers, muntjac, fallow deer (over 15 of which are pure white) and barn owls, amongst other species, can be found in the parkland.
Henham Park is recorded in the Domesday book and has been owned by the Rous family since 1544. The stately home that once stood in front of The Stables is unfortunately no more as a drunken butler dropped a candle in the cellar and burnt the whole building down in 1773. Part of the original wall remains along with The Stables - originally a large Coach House adjacent to the main house.
The grounds of Henham Park were landscaped by Sir Humphrey Repton in 1791 and his plan incorporated features already in place from previous centuries such as Lime Avenue and the ancient Tuttles Wood with its Saxon ditches and old coppice.
For more information on Henham Park please visit www.henhampark.com